Sunday, November 30, 2008

Experiencing The Race Village, Kochi

Work in and around the Race Village is still in progress as I stepped there this morning. The place was almost empty till around 10:30 am, when staff of Port Trust and their families started pouring in. Soon, media were also seen around. Ericsson 4's yacht was parked near the BTP Berth. I talked to Eric from Sweden, of the Volvo Ocean Race team. He gave me a quick demonstration of The Ride and The Grinding Challenge. There were many young boys - volunteers trying to take charge of 'The Ride' and 'The Grinding Challenge.' I saw the first batch of ride takers emerging from the Ride - some of them had their face and dress soaked in water. I took the ride when they let in the second batch. The ride showed different experiences one could possibly encounter during the race.

The Grinding Challenge requires good effort - so didn't dare to touch it! I also entered the Dome, after waiting in the queue under the sizzling sun for fifteen minutes. The Dome, was displaying a short history of the race, the previous years and how life is at the extreme.

Then, I visited the Volvo Pavilion where one can learn more about the Volvo Ocean Race through the hoarding, video clippings and also about Volvo's launches. One can also check their driving skills - there are a number of options. I tried only to crash my dummy car without even giving a thought that one need to step on the break!

By the time, I finished taking the ride etc, Ericsson 4's yacht was out of night. Those whom I asked said the crew should be tired and sleeping. Few minutes later, I found them with their yacht at the other end of the Berth. They were still at work in their yacht. Soon, I saw 4-5 of them coming with a lady (which I later came to know is the wife of a crew member). I asked them if they are the Ericsson 4 team and congratulated them on their success! I also attended Ericsson 4's press meet, where they shared some of their experiences. It was also an opportunity I was looking for, for getting answers and using them for the story I am working for a national magazine.
Telefonica Blue will reach at 1900 hrs (Indian time).

The Race Village will hopefully see more tourists arriving till December 13th, 2008, to meet the sailors and experience the facilities at the Race Village to know more about Volvo Ocean Race.

No comments: